Forums » Welcome » Team names - Blues

Messages for Team names - Blues

Comment Posted by Inza Apr 05, 2009 10:19 AM

Start from the bottom -

Racists - Gary Stewart

Sounds like women’s state league or girls under 16 teams to me!!
I still think that Woden Town sounds OK as Woden is a town. We could also use Woden Wanderers, I think that it describes our positional play very well! Both names would stand up to good football naming conventions, not be too out of the ordinary to attract derision and not too pretentious such as United setting us up to fail.
Any ideas for the third name, I think Woden Old Codgers might be a little too literal while Woden Athletic is just wishful thinking ;-) I suppose just plain old Woden Valley is out of the question??
Cheers, Jeff

What about..........
Woden Valley Rubys (cause they is red)
Woden Valley Sapphires (cause they is blue)
Woden Valley Emeralds (cause they is green)

Semi precious, hard, old stones that can still be found in a paddock somewhere............. Steery

I couldn’t play for a team with Jock in the name J - Hopey

How about Jockstraps? - Gary Stewart

so perhaps a fruit or vegetable name? or are we all just a bunch of fashion accessories emanating from THE hub of mercantile delights? - McRod

On Mar 26, 2009, at 7:21 AM, gary stewart wrote:
Excuse me Rod, Woden Plaza does not offer discounts but the strongest fresh food offer coupled with the finest fashion in South Canberra.

Guys,
a word of warning! as flippant as I am tempted to be, (drongoes, galahs for eg.) we have to be careful that we choose something that doesn't sound too much like a bunch of u/10s trying to sound tough, or we may end up being embarrassed once the novelty wears off. That said, last year it was certainly pretty silly being blues and playing in white, while the Brindabella Blues (for eg.) were also blues but playing in blue. And most animal terms much like generic terms (united, city etc) already have associations. Are we naming ourselves after North Melbourne (roos), some Qld basketball team (Taipans), Cronulla Sutherland (the sharks), the SA Cricket team (redbacks), Man U, or Belconnen are different sorts of devils etc etc. Unless there is a very local animal or bird that is not yet taken. The Gang Gangs might be misunderstood as gang-bangs.

So what is Woden known for? the hospital - we could call ourselves 'The Emergencies', there are a few embassies in the vicinity - 'the ambassadors', there is a lawn cemetery - 'the mortal remains', there is Woden Plaza - 'the discounts'. What we should do is have a beer and naming session after the games on sunday, and settle it there and then with everyone there.
Rod

Good call Lawrie. For the Greens, I like Sharks or Redbacks. Or Devils. Something mean and tough. Like us.
rrrrrrrr! - tom

Can I suggest that copying english and european names is a form of cultural cringe.
City? - Team Woden Valley City?
United? - would make more sense if we were going from 3 teams to one?

Give me a break!

Let's take pride in an Australian theme such as - Roos, Sharks and Taipans - or similar approach (redbacks, devils, dingoes, magpies, boomers, brolgas, nullas, galahs, ... )

We have lots to choose from? Just a few ideas on names to consider.
Cheers - Lawrie

Comment Posted by Boss Apr 09, 2009 02:32 PM

Playing like Zidane,
Scoring like Pelay,
and I guess guess that's why they call it, the... Blues.

Elton John...

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com