Forums » Formation and Roles » 3-2-3-2

Messages for 3-2-3-2

Comment Posted by Roo May 24, 2009 03:59 PM

We tried this today against the Brindy O43s, and although the result went against us the experiment was a success.

So what did I/We learn?

Well, the approach was to counter a weakness I had thought we had in attack. It is true the 4-2-3-1 is tested and works well, but speaking from the attacking side of the army, I saw that we seemed to have not enough support on up our end, so to speak. As there was only one forward, there tended to be a mentality for the midfielders to all try and push up to support.

I also identified our star centre defensive mids where doing such a great job that we really almost had 3 stoppers!

So with the lack of hopey on sweeper, I thought we could reduce to 2 effective defensive mids/stoppers and pull someone up to the attacking role. The three midfielders could then player tighter in the centre and feed off the laybacks or pop the ball over the backline to beat the trap.

The theory worked well for the first half as we found ourselves better able to play the ball around and, as JT pointed out, the centre had more forward options resulting in a goal at one point.

However, here's the drawback. I had felt that there was a little too much pressure in the midfield with the missing dedicated stopper drawing the 2 defensive midfielders back and wide. I had suggested at the break we need to revert to a 4-2-3-1, but the team decided to stay as they were. Well, live and learn I would say, we started the second half with decidedly faster midfield in the opposition and that put us defensive for the first 10 minutes or so and they scored during some confusion caused by a bad line call.

However, again... I don't think it was the structure as such that let us down, we certainly did pick up the pace after that and cause them no end of headaches in their defensive line, with several scrambles, unmarked players and good runs that luck simply didn't play our way.

So in all, I consider the 3-2-3-2 a valuable option. It is versatile also, allowing a transition to 5-3-2 when under pressure and variations like 3-1-3-3 and 4-4-2 easily when holding the ball.

Comment Posted by Inza Aug 10, 2009 03:06 PM

WHo would have credited that this would become the formatino of choice for the Blues.

Incredible
Inzaman

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com