Forums » Opponents » Legends

Messages for Legends

Comment Posted by Inza Jun 07, 2009 09:05 AM

Friday 5 June 2009,

As fans arrived to a wet winters evening, the two teams took the pitch.

Early warmups showed promise with legends strikers finding the net from many angles and good team spirit showing from both teams.
Legends won the toss and elected to play south, Blues to kick off.

"I'm confident of a good game" stated legends sweeper and all round nice guy Paul "Hopey" Hope prior to the kickoff, and spirits were high in both camps.

The first half saw Blues on the attack early on with a large amount of the game being played in the Legends half. Legends let in a couple of goals early on but then held under pressure to go into the first interchange at 2-0 down.

The crowd booed with the lack of cheerleaders at half time, so Gerard Inzamam offered to take his shirt off and do a dance. The crowd quickly settled after that threat.

The beginning of the second half saw a number of changes in the Legends side that lead to about 10 or 15 minutes of confusion on the left midfield. Blues quickly punished this strategic error and slotted home a few more goals from the right side and from the top of the box.

As the game heated up, tempers started to fray, the shock departure of striker Steve Preen from the legends saw the team restructure to fire on all cylinders.
Several close chances were not converted with a sliding strike from Andy "Roo" Longhorn passing a foot outside the post, Diego finding the post itself and a beautiful run, turn and layoff going begging with a misshit from David.

On the Blues side, Steery caused havoc most of the night on the right ad in the box beating Dom "Bulletproof" Mackenzie, and a beautiful header popped over the goalies head by Marcus "Smarty Feet" Chacos saw him increase his lead on the top-scorers leaderboard for the season, before a clash saw him stretchered from the field with an injured thigh.

"I'll be fine mate!" were Marcus's words as he left the field, and we expect to see him fighting fit at training on Wednesday.

Legends fans left disappointed at full time, "I paid good money for that!" were some of the crowds sentiments as they left, "It was Barca and Manchester all over again.. Only Worse!" was another.

When questioned on the defeat, Team Captain Andy "Roo" Longhorn had said "Hey look, we knew it was going to be tough, they had a secret weapon we had underestimated.... Skill." He went on to say "I'd like to say the score line did not represent the closeness of the match, but I can't take anything away from the Blues. The best team on the night did win, and although it could have been 5-2 or 4-3 in their favour, or even 4-0 or 12-0 to us, But it wasn't, it was 6-0 and that's the way it went."

There were isolated reports of vandalism in the surrounding neighborhood following the match, and some fans fighting at clubs across the city, however the police were generally pleased with the outcome. "Only five cars were torched, one patrol car ended up on it's roof and the sargeant has been offered counselling to get over his favourite team losing" was the official comment from constable Terry Michaels.

Eyes now turn to the next meeting of the titans, later in the season, which should prove a very exciting re-match.

Signing off, Burt Mackinnon for InzaNews.

Remember..... "If it's worth knowing, it's InzaNews"

Bell

You must be logged in to post a new message.

Proceed to the signup page to create an account if you don't already have one or login if you already have an existing account.

Various icons used from the Silk Icons library.

www.redzoneleagues.com